HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SUGGESTION: Day/Night System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Bryan
Bryan

SUGGESTION: Day/Night System Empty
PostSubject: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zFri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Staff,

I would like to suggest a day/night system in-game. While most of my suggestions have not been accepted, I would still express my thoughts and ideas for improvement. This system is very simple and we may need a widget. It's basically for realism and Pokémon evolution.

Realism - do you not find it unrealistic and messed up when two topics in the same region at the same time has different skies? It is nighttime in Topic X and morning in Topic Y. With the day/night system, it will all be in order. Since Kanto and Johto are connected, they will share the same time. I'm not sure about the other regions' distance from each other but I'm pretty sure that not all the regions will share the same time.

Pokémon evolution - certain Pokémon evolves only at certain times. To add a little bit of challenge and suspense, the member will have to wait for that time to come.

I'm also suggesting that we separate noon from day/night and have a six hour time required to switch day to night and vice-versa.
Lapis Lazuli
Lapis Lazuli

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zFri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm

It wouldn't work that way Shadow. In an rp enviroment, people choose the setting when they make the first post. Whether it's night or day, rain or shine. No two topics really happen at the exact same time.
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 2:00 am

I'm saying two members RP in the same region so it would be in the exact same time in-game or relatively.
Lapis Lazuli
Lapis Lazuli

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 am

I'm on another site. There is no day/night system. It is not a pokemon site. But in the context and fact that we are a roleplaying site and the only real limit aside from the rules is ones imagination, you're suggesting a system that controls and clutters the forum. It will literately dictate when people make a post, specifically if they seek a pokemon that is found at night, or evolving a pokemon during the day.

In an rp enviroment, such a system is more of a hassle than what I've put forward previously. Once again, I'm bringing up this other site. People rp in the same region all the time. None of these topics however, take place at the same time. Though I agree that the site needs more systems to address some topics, this does not require a system and usually handles itself without staff interference.
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 3:47 am

It won't dictate when they'll post. They can still RP. Say,

"Oh, it's night. I'll start my journey upon sunrise," said Joe.

Or something like that. And won't it be weird if a nocturnal Pokémon appeared during the day? I've seen another forum use this system and it's not that bad. I'm not in that forum anymore but the thought just crossed my mind and thought I'd give it a try here.
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 3:52 am

It's almost 11 pm on my end, so lots of timed posts couldn't happen for me around school, tournaments, sleep, and parents. C is right, but I'm no staff, however this idea would NEVER work on a site where you have people from almost every single timezone, such as this one.
Lapis Lazuli
Lapis Lazuli

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 4:37 am

Wes, you've misinterpreted what's been said here. Shadow suggested that members within the same region, example being Kanto and Johto. All topics henceforth would be subject to their own timezones.

I am against that, because members have the power to decide whether their topic takes place at night or during the day. We have no right to infringe upon that choice. That can limit when people will make their posts, as some may only travel during the daytime in rp and others at night. You also can't rush topics either Shadow.

You haven't addressed any real issues when you brought this up. Much of what you're saying is things people can do on their own. You aren't giving a system that isn't unheard, just a system that is already in the hands of the members.

You have not addressed key issues that arise from this. If a topic starts during the daytime, does the time change with it as such? Or does it stay frozen until someone says otherwise? What if people are sick of having to wait occasionally to rp at certain times? What if the staff have to continuously intervene and remind people about this system?
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 6:38 am

Wes, I said "I would like to suggest a day/night system in-game." Why would you talk about your time zone/reality?

C, I think you misunderstood this. I just want things to be in order. Look, say Pewter and Cerulean. They share the same time zone. Then character in Cerulean moves to meet character in Pewter. Back at Cerulean, it was morning. Then when he moved to Pewter, all of a sudden it's night because the member role-playing in Pewter said so. While there wasn't even an hour gap during that travel in-game.

And I'm pretty sure we have a common sense to look at the widget to know what the time is.

EDIT: A’ight just realized something. Say in-game it's day and I posted. Then I came back three hours later in real life and in-game it became night. In-game, it would be weird that only a short amount of time has passed and then the time zone changes. I guess I should analyze the pros and cons of my own suggestions first. I'm dumb.
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Leo
Leo

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 am

i agree with atlas i think that is a good idea
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I brought up my timezone because I could miss an important thing due to RL stuff. Atlas, Fen's site has a WEATHER system, not day/night.
Dragon Kurai

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8zSat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Alright, so since it seems that there is enough opinions on this suggestion, and I'm pretty sure that I've seen enough of a discussion, I'm throwing my cents in.

I don't like this idea, personally. Members do have the ability to determine their own in-topic time, and despite whether this means there could be a large shift in time if they change topics, it is possible to write a post that makes up for that extra time. As well, C has points when he says that no player would like to wait hours or days [if they miss one] to post again because of a time system. Even if it could help with evolution, there are other systems, or eventually will be if there aren't, that could help with daytime and nighttime evolution.

Having said that, to prevent a small argument on whether or not this idea is good or not, this topic is locked and moved.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SUGGESTION: Day/Night System   SUGGESTION: Day/Night System H6Q0F8z

SUGGESTION: Day/Night System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1