HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Idea about Removing the Topic Limit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Hakudoshi
Hakudoshi

Idea about Removing the Topic Limit Empty
PostSubject: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zSun Apr 14, 2013 1:35 am

I know what you're all going to say. Allowing multiple topics for one character doesn't make sense as because someone can't be in two or more places at once. However, let's refrain on commenting on that for now and just look at the positives I have listed, as well as some examples. If you are willing to give me logical arguments, aside from the 'It's impossible' or 'It doesn't make sense', please list your reasons below my post as to why you think this won't work. With that said, let me begin by trying to explain things as simply as I can without confusing anyone.

I know one of your arguments is that it wouldn't make sense if someone in the middle of a battle spontaneously got a new move or leveled up because of another topic they finished. You're absolutely right, it would be out-of-left-field and is something that just can't be done. However, there is an easy way around this.

Let's take one topic, where someone is trying to learn a move through a TM or a Move Tutor. They make another topic while the Learning-The-Move topic is still unfinished where they are battling a Pokemon. It would be easy to say that because the second topic was made before the Move Learning topic was finished, that it would not be affected by the finishing of the Move Learning topic. The only topics that would be affected by the Move Learning topic being finished would be the ones made after it was finished. This way, it is possible to avoid someone leveling up out-of-nowhere in the middle of a topic or using a move they didn't know before when that topic was made.

Now, let's not resort ourselves to insults and profanities, but rather have a calm, professional discussion over the pros and cons of implementing this rule. No one is right or wrong in this case, just a professional discussion over whether the pros of implementing this rule outweigh the cons.
Fox Demon Avaritia
Fox Demon Avaritia

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zSun Apr 14, 2013 1:48 am

Though I can see where your coming from this, you have to realize the chaos it would create as well. Our Mods are already busy handling the amounts of topics created at this moment, a greater number may overload us. You also state that the move learning and such won't contradict, but who will keep track of this? If you have five topics at once for the same character, should a Mod really have to keep track of what happens in one and makes sure it doesn't transfer to the other? Also, you can still simply have one topic that you learn a TM and battle other Pokemon in. I know you're one for the liquid time for the sake of active threads, but what would happen if one mod handles all the topics you handle, and they disappear. Would you get new mods, or create five new topics? Some members would probably do this, leading to a majority of topics that simply go no where, which blots out the active ones, makes the mods have a hard time keeping track of them, and overall, just makes things more heptic than they have to be.

I vote against the liquid time. I prefer the linear time we have at this moment, for the sake of the staff.
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zSun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 am

I'd like to say: IT DRIVES PEOPLE AWAY, I'VE SEEN IT HAPPEN. Also, it could be a cheasy way to level up: Say, get 4 topics for training with wilds and one with actual journeying. You could just spam doing this to level up. That, right there, is simply stupid, cheasy, and nooby. A rule like this would just bring in noobs, if it brings in anyone.
Hakudoshi
Hakudoshi

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zSun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 am

That is a fair point Fen. Staff members have real life things to do and they can't always be there. You can appoint more members of staff, or simply go through the active topics they have and look at their beginning posts to see whether or not the topic was posted before or after it was finished. Even though I've only been here a day, I am very willing to do the work other staff members aren't able to do, like keep up with when the topics were made, doing the guiding, things like that. I would need to be explained how to do that, but if the staff feel they are unable to do so, I understand, and am very willing to do the work they cannot do themselves. I have nothing to do in real life due to some health issues and as such, spend the majority of my time on the comp. If not me, then perhaps others who you trust to do the work. If at times the staff work gets too much, it is always an option at least to promote some people to staff.

Also Rainbow, I said this was a logical discussion professionally weighing the pros and cons of this idea. All members are equal and should be given a fair chance, and also, you're comment about this idea forcing members to run off is not a legitimate argument because you have not provided any reason as to whether or not this makes it true. I did say you had to have legitimate reasons, and all you have given is a baseless accusation. Please provide me an explanation as to how this type of rule drives members away.

Also, there is a way to avoid multiple leveling. You could separate the type of topics you are doing in specific categories and tell people you can only do one of each. It doesn't have to be unlimited amount of topics, and yes they do have to take place in the area your character is in, but at least with that system, you can only participate in one battle at a time, without making someone switch to another character.
Lucretia
Lucretia

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zSun Apr 14, 2013 4:49 am

I have told you multiple times in the chat, as well has many of the staff that this idea is not good for our site. It would make the work harder for the staff, harder on each member REGARDLESS of how many therre are. W try to make their job easier, not more difficult. In addition, I remember you saying something along the lines of "I tried joining other sites that allowed multiple threads, but they were all dead. Only ones like this are active." Did it ever strike you that there may be a connection?

I have said, and will always say no to this. It makes for chaos in the forum, and stress on the staff. Your "willingness" to watch over the process is not incentive for me or any other staff to allow it. If you are too jittery about posting more, then I suggest either creating a second character, or joining a second site. We have a character limit in place to ease the load on mods as is, why on earth would we then raise the limit on topics? Not speaking in the RP world logic- but in REAL LIFE logic - this makes no sense. All of your solutions add an extra several steps that mods have to take very often, as well as extra steps many of the members would likely ignore. You're trying to overcomplicate what we've tried to simplify. Leveling up is easy here, there is no need for multiple topics. Create a training post if you wish so much to level up fast. Within one post you can level up several times based on how much detail you put into it.
Darkrai
Darkrai

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zThu May 23, 2013 11:51 pm

No need for paragraph debate.I support. Hands down.
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zFri May 24, 2013 10:19 am

Doesn't this site already have liquid time? It had it long back in the day, during the Age of Anarchy under a certain Queen L. Well, you were wise to reform out of it. It's was a butthurt for the mods.
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zFri May 24, 2013 10:56 am

Whatever. Being at two topics at once is ungodly chaotic, unrealistic and improper. I'm against this idea and so is the majority.
Trainer-Jenna

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zFri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 pm

While I under stand your reasoning for suggesting this,I can also say its a bad idea,the staff have enough on their plate as is.If their were about a dozen more staff members to lighten the load,then yes,I could see this maybe working,but we their isn't enough staff to make this work- I know that being in a position of authority is hard work,though I'm not in such a position my self,I know that group projects are difficult to coordinate,i've participated in enough at school-and I wasn't even in charge- I imagine its ten times worse with them having to deal with us as well as coordinate efforts efficiently and effectively.
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8zFri Aug 16, 2013 11:17 pm

You know you shouldn't post in topics this old, right? Seriously, this old a topic usually has been resolved, and hasn't been posted in for months.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idea about Removing the Topic Limit   Idea about Removing the Topic Limit H6Q0F8z

Idea about Removing the Topic Limit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1