HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Modding Idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
LiaraKirkwall
LiaraKirkwall

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 6:41 am

While I have no problem with how things are modded now, I feel like if some things were changed we could increase the speed at which posting is done for those that are impatient or wish to continue their roleplay without dragging the post out for days.

Here's my idea.

Instead of making the modded post a strictly text post, make it a numbers game. You already have a 'Mod Me' section so the trainer can post there and request to be modded and the moderator can accept to post for them, however instead of actually roleplaying, have them simply state which pokemon enters, it's level, and some kind of HP meter so the trainer can view both their pokemon's health as well as the opponents (though numbers aren't entirely necessary here, just state their condition or something); aka things you would see on one of the handheld games.

After the trainer is informed if their attack has 'hit' or 'missed', if the opposing pokemon's attack 'hit's or 'misses', then simply allow the trainer or trainers to RP it out as well as add in their next set of attacks.

So something like this:
Red = Mod White = Trainer

Wild Pokemon: Charmander
Lvl: 8
HP: Full Health

Trainer's pokemon: Eevee
Lvl: 6

[possible range - (down, poor, ok, stable, good, very good, Full Health)]

[ insert RP with attacks]

Charmander uses ember (hit)
Eevee uses Tail Whip (miss)

[insert above stats in RP + next attacks]

Wild Pokemon: Charmander
Lvl: 8

Trainer's pokemon: Eevee
Lvl: 6
HP: Very Good

Charmander uses scratch (hit)
Eevee uses tackle (hit)

[Repeat til pokemon is down or caught]

It wouldn't be hard to do and it's quick enough that it should only take a minute or two to really do if the RP is left strictly up to the trainers and is kept in check by the moderator providing the information above.
NovaliRuso
NovaliRuso

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 7:07 am

I do like the way we get to see the reactions of the pokemon, but it would be nice to at least let us know when it's about to faint or something (especially with a wild pokemon).
LiaraKirkwall
LiaraKirkwall

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 7:32 am

My idea is flexible, I'm sure there's some way to merge text and numbers if the moderators prefer the RP, I'm just saying I would like to be able to see, through stats, what's going on when it comes to battling rather than it being a toss up for what I'm doing if it is in fact being modded. The lack of RP from mods for this is for speed, but speed isn't really my ultimate main concern as much as the stats are.

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 7:35 am

I like your idea but I might counter-suggest an idea. The mods will reply the info regarding the wild Pokemon on the "Mod Me" topic then the RPer starts RPing his Pokemon and the wild Pokemon battling. No pattern of the wild Pokemon's status will be given like your "down, stable, weak, miss" stuff. The RPer will use his skills and creativity how the fight will go on. But of course, if the RPer goes to have all the attacks of the foe miss, he'll be asked to edit it. Then what the mods will do is to check the RPer's "Battle Post (Might help if everybody will be instructed to put a "BATTLE SEQUENCE: *battle rp here* thing.") if it is fine. Then the mods will tell them if they are good then they go on. Also the mods will tell that they gained EXP and goes to edit their apps.

But the bad thing is... It might result to everyone having only one long post full of edits But if am asked, I can wait for at least 48 hours without my RP modded. If it takes 72 hours or three days before it is modded, I will asked to be modded on the third day so am just adding my idea here for others.

Other solution for faster modding is that they hire MORE mods. 'Coz whatever improvement we do, the quick modding will never change because the mods have a life and they could be busy or something. Though that's where the other mods appear. They could mod whenever they want or be "back-up mods" if someone has to be modded and the other mods can't mod then they go modding.

Oh well, if anything there was offensive then I didn't meant it. I am just trying to suggest mine. Thank you.
LiaraKirkwall
LiaraKirkwall

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 7:56 am

I'm not offended by the idea, but I just think there's some flaws in that (just like there's probably some in mine). Anyway, I'm not trying to say the moderators have to mod right immediately after we post, a couple hours to a day is fine, I just normally like to see more activity if it runs over that (not that it ever has, it's just in case). Maybe a couple more active members could be made moderators within reason? As long as it's not overkill. If more people are mods than normal then everyone might as well mod their own thread, which could get out of control. Perhaps an application is necessary to apply to become a moderator? Requiring information such as activity, experience, knowledge, basic questions, as if you were applying for a real job and then the administrators or other moderators could decide which candidate(s) is selected?

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 8:00 am

Not that easy to accept a mod even if you have a perfect application for it. Some oaf became a mod before and destroyed half of the forum, since then, accepting mods are sort of hard to decide for the admins. XD. But there is one way to add mods without having to worry about oafs and stuff. They can give a member a permission to mod without giving them powers that mods have. They can only have one mod power, to edit the Trainer Apps so when an RPer gains an exp they can edit their trainer apps. Only the trainer apps they can edit. They cannot move or delete a topic. I think powers to a certain forum is possible... I've been suggesting this idea to them but it's always a mixed reaction so yah.
LiaraKirkwall
LiaraKirkwall

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 8:11 am

I can see how that would happen. Had a bit of an issue like that on one of my sites. We let a friend of a friend create our battle system and that was the biggest mistake ever. He became some type of cyber tyrant and me and my co-administrator had to terminate both his character in RP and then his account out in order to remain fair, but it was sort of like a forest fire. The damage was done. While I definitely understand the importance of security, there's also the concern of ratio of players and mods. If you have far to many mods than players then mods arent doing their jobs. If you have more players than mods, players dont get modded quickly or not at all or the mods are overwhelmed. There needs to be some sort of percentile that is kept up with in terms of active members. I can understand the branching idea and I do sort of agree with that. I don't believe 'new mods' should have full access. But small access that can be controlled by higher leveled mods wouldn't be horrible, sort of a test drive, if the mod proves to be level headed over a certain time period then maybe they can attain a bit more responibility, but that's left to the administrators to decide. Right out I agree though that there needs to be a test run of some kind before any power is established. That's simple common sense.

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 8:35 am

Mhm well that mod went through this test drive but still it wasn't enough. But I doubt that it will happen again. Everybody "has a life", XD. Anyway, we do have a lot of mods and admins who can mod but I only see Lucretia and Markj1998 modding. I don't know why the others are not... Lack of modding causes some of our members to leave. We would've some sort of double the number of members now if only everyone was modded in let's say... at least four days... Plus the Mod Me section does not work that much and it's because we have members that can be counted by the fingers who RP. Guess they have to work on that which I think they are... But don't worry, am sure this modding issue will find its way out of this tunnel soon.
Lucretia
Lucretia

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 5:40 pm

We did recently hire two new capable region moderators. Also, giving "power to edit apps" is still a bad idea since said "oaf" deleted the trainer apps :P

Either way in all honesty I see each mod do it differently here. I've seen some be very simple in the way they battle, others more detailed. It's more or less at the mod's discretion. As far as wanting to "know when they're weak or about to faint" the mods usually say something along the lines of "the Pokémon was beginning to look worn down" and the like. If you want a short post, you can always request to be moderated by someone different, but there's still no guarantee how much you'll get since even with short posts most mods only post once or twice a day per thread. Otherwise we would burn out quickly (regardless pf if the post is lengthy and detailed or simply numbers).

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zWed May 02, 2012 5:43 pm

mhm
Quibbloboy
Quibbloboy

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8zThu May 03, 2012 6:48 am

I can tell you right now that this is too big of a change to be popular. I'm glad you're suggesting things to help the site though, keep that up.
Anyway, topic moved.
Sponsored content

Modding Idea Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding Idea   Modding Idea H6Q0F8z

Modding Idea
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1