HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Ika Mazi (Jeff)

A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ Empty
PostSubject: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zSat Jun 14, 2014 4:41 am

Though the title of this topic may sound almost jestingly ignorant, and the description may not exactly back up any ground I once had to stand on from any major perspective, I do have a few suggestions and ideas I would like to throw out there for all of whom would like to listen. I will not claim to be an expert on the inner-workings of this site, nor will I claim to be omniscient. I am only presenting problems I see through my eyes, and many of these may be false alarms, many of these may have been addressed, I just feel the need to let fly with some ideas, and suggestions. I will not mention names, I will not mention anything unnecessary that can be taken in any way, shape, or form, offensive, and or seditious/slanderous towards any staff member here, or any member here.

First off, If you don't know me my names Jeff, I'm 15, and I've recently got back into Role-playing due to a general need of a past time. I'm still fairly rusty since I haven't Role-played in several months, close to a year if I'm thinking correctly, and I recently left a site called Bleach Stories, where I was a former Admin (I stepped down due to life issues) due to inner turmoil within the site, disinterest, and many other contributing factors. I've been the head admin of 2 sites, a co-admin on another, and Mod on two sites, and though I am admittedly very new to the Pokemon RP scene it seems very fun if done correctly. Hence my very keen interest in this site and it's contents. I have spoken to many members and staff here, and I like the vast majority. In all actuality for once I don't think there's a member I can point out that I particularly dislike, which is nice to have, and their seems to be a general air of respect and companionship among many of the people here, which is excellent to see as well as be a part of. This is definitely a user-friendly site. And that is not where my issue lies, my issue lies within the content itself, the sites organization, and it's delivery of it's contents. I will play devils advocate, and as some staff and members argued the other day when I was haphazardly involved, I will play devil's advocate as I always do. It's the funner stance for me, and it's the one hardest to argue for and against. I will perhaps make friends in these opinions, as well as enemies, just know that these are not personal attacks, and I do indeed mean best.

Complaints/Suggestions 1: Staff- This issue is perhaps the most obvious, and easiest to fix, this site is incredibly short staffed when compared to the surplus of members this site has (Actually, there is a shortage of ACTIVE staff) And as dependent on staff as this site is, this just cannot be the case, I've heard many of the trail mods have went A-Wall, this needs dealt with immediately. If they cannot stay active they are not worthy of being Staff, pretty simple concept, if they are gone or 48-72 hours without prior notice or warning, posted to the site in advance? Trail ends try back at a later date, next man up. Perhaps (and you may have one already) set up a board for trail moderators, I know there is plenty of interest going on around the site, and even temporary mods would be an improvement over the current system, seeing as the current system necessitates all Staff on deck, (Which with the large quantity of staff alone makes impractical to put it mildly) or the site slows down, and topics stop. Work from some Staff also needs to pick up, I understand everyone has shit to do in real life, and trust me I know, I have work, sports, school, and social matters, but I can promise you, in a week I'd be one of the top 2-3 most active Staff here if I were to be one. This site does not take a large amount of work to run RP wise, and I know I'm saying that because I'm not dealing with it, but I'm also willing to put my money where my mouth is, so if you plan on calling me on this just leave your money in my wallet. I'll cash the check later. But the reason I say that as brashly as I do is simple, I see at every time I log in, without fail, staff in the chat box. And I know there is no shortage of staff here, and if the work was split evenly this site would be the most active Roleplay out there in a month (TOPS). But there is however, a shortage of active staff on the Roleplay boards, which again as dependent on the Staff as the Roleplay here is, cannot happen. I don't care if you have the sniffles, if you don't enjoy it why the fuck are you doing it? Staff definitely needs to step up on some accounts. Oh and also, seriously, the Staff needs to have a big get together and decide on some rules and update them, the rules can't be different dependent on whom is asked.

Complaints/Suggestions 2. Members- Yeah sorry, I said I would play devil's advocate and I do plan on holding myself to that within my intents and purposes. For all the complaints, for all the rants in the chat, for all the general frustration from Topics needing posted in, for all the general grievances I've seen within the chat it almost necessitates the simple question of, "why is Jeff, the new guy, the only one to get on the Forum and say something?" If you want something done, the Staff aren't going to read your damn mind, and shit out progress like the magical chicken with golden eggs, I know this expectation is held to many of staff, and many do their best to hold themselves to it, but it's simply not possible. I understand some of you think the chat is the best place to unload your brilliant and sometimes not so brilliant ideas on the staff, but it's really not. Some of them log in just for appearances, and some of them actually are doing other shit, or perhaps working on the site as you at the time are currently bitching about them doing, and can't/don't feel the need or general interest to check the chat to see if you've had a brain storm for the first time since you were in the tub with your toaster back in 3rd grade. If you want to formally introduce ideas to staff, formally introduce them like I am, (it's magical!) or PM staff, I have for one heard Latios as being VERY receptive to Privately Messaged Ideas. He does not seem as receptive to chat ideas nor should he have to be, if you think you have a good idea send it via PM, you can't type up a good idea in the space that is the chat box, and if you can? It's probably not as brilliant as you thought. Finally, let the staff do it's work, don't hound on them, encourage them, ask for progress as a group not individuals. Don't just put it on the Staff to make the site better, put it upon yourselves to.

In closing, I think you can see I'm probably lacking a few things I'll probably mention at a later time, and I think I'll have some very interesting replies. I do hope however, that some of this is at the very least, thought about, and brought to attention to some of the major flaws I've noticed on the site, and some of the nonsensical things I've seen done.

~End Rant
-Jeff
Dragon Kurai

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zSat Jun 14, 2014 5:18 am

To begin with, pasting a history of where you've been is not really supposed to be in a suggestion topic such as this one (or any one for that matter, because it is considered off-topic). Also, using the amount of curses I saw isn't really 100% effective in some cases. Just sayin ;3

It is not the fact that the site is short-staffed as it is the fact that some, if not quite a few, of the members are not active within the Staff Only portion of this forum (accessible only to thes staff, obviously). I would be able to name to you a few of the members that I've seen online quite a few times at different periods throughout the day, and I can tell you a couple of things that may be in their schedule before they disappear. Not that I would name anyone though, because I know that everyone has their piece in things, even I...

As per saying that if they aren't active they aren't worthy of being staff, that can get complicated in some scenarios. For example, I could be really active for a few months, and then suddenly I have a month of various issues. If I notified someone, I wouldn't expect to lose my position because I did communicate and it is understandable that some people have problems every once in a while... (Now, if the problems spanned, say, a year, then I'd expect to lose my position.)

There is already a board for putting up staff applications. Even if the template is not perfect (nothing is perfect all the time, or even part of the time), it is something and can easily be revised. You mentioned in the chatbox that you were unaware of this, and I would rather appreciate further investigation being done before replies are made further (please and thank you~). Members are free to paste an application there if they've been here a while and have experience that is evident.

Quoting what I said earlier about the activity, I can partially agree; if you aren't going to be active for quite some time and you don't notify, then it's likely the best that you get a demotion or be set as invisible (hidden as a staff member) until you can become active again, request leave, or prove that you can still do work despite inactivity over lengthy periods of time. This does not apply to all the staff, as you said though.

As per what you say about the rules, I have something to say about that and what everyone else seems to keep saying... I'm tired of people saying things like that and behaving as though no discussions are going on in the Staff Only portion of this forum; I can, for a FACT, prove that there are discussions about the rules and revision going on; heck, I took the time out of my schedule to work the rules up again myself, and they're getting discussed and opinions given. That pretty much proves things are going on and that anyone who would like to say otherwise is partially in fault of reasoning.

- - - - -

Also, someone that FINALLY sees both ways like I try to (as well as some other staff members do). Staff members aren't psychic and they don't have the ability to be perfect; if you have an idea, there are various methods of presenting it. One of the worst methods is approaching an idea in the chatbox, ESPECIALLY when there are multiple members and staff talking about random subjects there. There is a "Suggestion and Ideas" forum for a purpose, as well as private messages. As spoken in the post above, I will personally take private messages if you aren't getting responses from other staff and try to work with you to my best to have it presented and worked on! This is even in my signature now.

Like I said earlier (I feel a bit as though my remarks were a bit rude, but still, it's been a long time with repetitive things going on), staff aren't perfect, and the members aren't aware of what's going on behind the scenes. There are discussions involved, and if someone wants progress, all they have to do is ask. I'm annoyed, personally, of being told "I do nothing" and being argued with over things when I know that they're in discussion or being planned for discussion... Staff aren't the only ones that need to communicate; the members have to as well. (This also goes along with my private message thing)

- - - - -

In regards to messaging me privately, my inbox is open. I expect that whenever I recieve a private message that there be a bit more than just 1 line of explanation on what the idea is; I'm no magician; I can't guess everything you have. I expect the one messaging me to be cooperative and understand that some things just won't pair well with the current regulations or future ones, and I expect no violence, such as severe swearing, to be sent to me via private message. I also expect a broad perspective to be seen; don't see it just from one angle or one side; see it from many...

The messages that are sent don't have to just be about suggestions though; I'm there for issues involving other members or staff. All I ask in that instance is you send me any proof, the member's name, and describe the situation (without leaving out details)...

I'm here for a purpose; even though I don't moderate role-play as much as I'd like or even desire to, I'm trying to help in other areas...
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Fox Demon Avaritia
Fox Demon Avaritia

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zSat Jun 14, 2014 6:22 pm

I have more to say here, but as of now, I'd like to focus on the chat box...

Quote :

As for saying ERMAGERD dun discuss it in da chat section, Well thats just stupid. The chat box is a place for everythign to be discussed, And if say 3 or 4 staff members are there while members are discussion then at least one of them should mention this. It just helps push my point that suggestions made here or the cb are ignored or its simple a lack of communicaiton between all the @'s.

Every time you offer an idea or suggestion in the chat, I ask you to place it in he discussions area. It isn't because I don't want to discuss it, I do find the chat a bad place for them. Only a select number of staff and members go into the chat while suggestions and ideas should be seen by all of the staff and members, not just the ones that happen to be in the chat. I'm not sure what a lack of staff communication has to do with it, since it's your idea, and you are the one that needs to spread it. When only the same members and staff see the idea, it really can't receive all of the input and opinion from the entire site. There are people that don't use the chat, and their opinions matter as well.

Anyway, I'll offer up more of a reply once I'm off this mobile.
Ika Mazi (Jeff)

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zSat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm

"To begin with, pasting a history of where you've been is not really supposed to be in a suggestion topic such as this one (or any one for that matter, because it is considered off-topic). Also, using the amount of curses I saw isn't really 100% effective in some cases. Just sayin ;3"

Cursing in itself is not an accurate barometer of ones intelligence or ability to argue, since language in itself is in many ways impacted by environment as well as attitude. Also I stated my past so others knew I had some idea of what the hell I was talking about.

"It is not the fact that the site is short-staffed as it is the fact that some, if not quite a few, of the members are not active within the Staff Only portion of this forum (accessible only to thes staff, obviously). I would be able to name to you a few of the members that I've seen online quite a few times at different periods throughout the day, and I can tell you a couple of things that may be in their schedule before they disappear. Not that I would name anyone though, because I know that everyone has their piece in things, even I..."

^I went over this in the chat as well as on this, I don't consider anyone who is not active as staff. If you're not active you're not staff. You're just wasting space with a title. And I understand real life responsibilities, but that doesn't mean you don't have to do your jobs here, or no one else should fill in.

"There is already a board for putting up staff applications. Even if the template is not perfect (nothing is perfect all the time, or even part of the time), it is something and can easily be revised. You mentioned in the chatbox that you were unaware of this, and I would rather appreciate further investigation being done before replies are made further (please and thank you~). Members are free to paste an application there if they've been here a while and have experience that is evident."-Fair enough, seems good.

"As per saying that if they aren't active they aren't worthy of being staff, that can get complicated in some scenarios. For example, I could be really active for a few months, and then suddenly I have a month of various issues. If I notified someone, I wouldn't expect to lose my position because I did communicate and it is understandable that some people have problems every once in a while... (Now, if the problems spanned, say, a year, then I'd expect to lose my position.)"

I did mention only without prior warning. So... you're repeating my point.

"Quoting what I said earlier about the activity, I can partially agree; if you aren't going to be active for quite some time and you don't notify, then it's likely the best that you get a demotion or be set as invisible (hidden as a staff member) until you can become active again, request leave, or prove that you can still do work despite inactivity over lengthy periods of time. This does not apply to all the staff, as you said though."

Doesn't seem partial, we agree almost `entirely.

"As per what you say about the rules, I have something to say about that and what everyone else seems to keep saying... I'm tired of people saying things like that and behaving as though no discussions are going on in the Staff Only portion of this forum; I can, for a FACT, prove that there are discussions about the rules and revision going on; heck, I took the time out of my schedule to work the rules up again myself, and they're getting discussed and opinions given. That pretty much proves things are going on and that anyone who would like to say otherwise is partially in fault of reasoning."

As I stated, I'm repeating the words of the members, I'm simply stating what they do. That is the job of a devils advocate. Only thing I would recommend is perhaps discussing your decisions in a summary to the members occasionally.

"Also, someone that FINALLY sees both ways like I try to (as well as some other staff members do). Staff members aren't psychic and they don't have the ability to be perfect; if you have an idea, there are various methods of presenting it. One of the worst methods is approaching an idea in the chatbox, ESPECIALLY when there are multiple members and staff talking about random subjects there. There is a "Suggestion and Ideas" forum for a purpose, as well as private messages. As spoken in the post above, I will personally take private messages if you aren't getting responses from other staff and try to work with you to my best to have it presented and worked on! This is even in my signature now."

No comment, nothing he says here is wrong.

"Like I said earlier (I feel a bit as though my remarks were a bit rude, but still, it's been a long time with repetitive things going on), staff aren't perfect, and the members aren't aware of what's going on behind the scenes. There are discussions involved, and if someone wants progress, all they have to do is ask. I'm annoyed, personally, of being told "I do nothing" and being argued with over things when I know that they're in discussion or being planned for discussion... Staff aren't the only ones that need to communicate; the members have to as well. (This also goes along with my private message thing) "

Rude<Honest.

"In regards to messaging me privately, my inbox is open. I expect that whenever I recieve a private message that there be a bit more than just 1 line of explanation on what the idea is; I'm no magician; I can't guess everything you have. I expect the one messaging me to be cooperative and understand that some things just won't pair well with the current regulations or future ones, and I expect no violence, such as severe swearing, to be sent to me via private message. I also expect a broad perspective to be seen; don't see it just from one angle or one side; see it from many..."

Agreed...

"The messages that are sent don't have to just be about suggestions though; I'm there for issues involving other members or staff. All I ask in that instance is you send me any proof, the member's name, and describe the situation (without leaving out details)...

I'm here for a purpose; even though I don't moderate role-play as much as I'd like or even desire to, I'm trying to help in other areas..."

I would recommend having all staff take a larger role in the Forum RP. Other than that we agree basically.

"I have to assume at least focusing on this part of your "suggestion" that you failed to do any research on the matter by checking previous suggestions or by speaking to other members about something like this? If you were to check the previous suggestions throughout the history you would find that a slew of members have made topics regarding staff activity - Staff doing nothing etc. Which gathered up enough force to open up new slots for trial mod members. So trying to state your the only member that says something as well as trying to state it shouldnt be you because of your newness is lacking in many ways. Before trying to build up an argument against the members for not taking a stand then prereading exisiting topics in this area would be a smarter idea.

As for this area, I believe the reason why its barely used is when a suggestion is made, We as members never ever ever hear anything back. Nothing nada not a single thing is hinted at or given any knowledge. When members constantly make suggestions yet get nothing back no feedback or critisicm it lowers our inabition to actually want to make suggestions or ideas that could help the site.  Wolfies and Jeffs statement"

I have to assume if you're going to make a point my screen shouldn't be covered in red proofreading marks when you're going to question my statements, it's rather humorous and reflects negatively on the dialogue and language part of your argument. Future reference my friend. Next up, I'm looking at the suggestion board, no suggestions in the last several months, and seeing as that's what I was referring to.. your point is now invalid. If you want something done you don't just stop and wait, you push on, continue pushing, hold the staff to it. Don't settle, assuming this is indeed the case, if not then your point is simply to be disregarded for future reference.

And so far from the post I've made I've gotten reply already, and others plan on replying, so obviously they are very willing to critique.

"As for saying ERMAGERD dun discuss it in da chat section, Well thats just stupid. The chat box is a place for everythign to be discussed, And if say 3 or 4 staff members are there while members are discussion then at least one of them should mention this. It just helps push my point that suggestions made here or the cb are ignored or its simple a lack of communicaiton between all the @'s. "

Would you like them to work or listen to one word ideas. You cannot provide a valid idea in the little space that is the chat box. You can't, and no, the chat-box is a place to unwind. As much as I'd love to discuss all the time on the chat-box it just is not what the chat-box was made for, it was made for fun chatting. I don't think discussing rules, is fun time for everyone.

"This being said i will praise Nish, Slow Leo and Mord. They are currently the only members of staff i see properly working on the roleplay. Its all well and fine for the admisn to state that they don't do rp topics because there admins and do other things behind the scenes. but when it comes to it this ROLEPLAY SITE is heavily reliant on STAFF PARTICIPATION not just in the ADMIN PANEL but throughout the whole course of the ROLEPLAY. Staff paly all wild pokemon encounters - All trainer encounters all gyms all elite four the champion and anythign else that requires a secondary party. Iv stated it more than once that all members of staff should take on RP topics due to the HIGH DEMAND OF STAFF INVOLVEMENT. It was not the members idea to have staff play all these parts it was staffs themselves. Thus if you want to create a staff heavy site then you should be prepared for the high demand of requests needed and not moan about OH MY GOD REAL LIFE - OH MY GOD I CANT BE BOTHERED. BEcause members are on the same boat they have real lives they have school college uni friends etc. yet they manage to make multiple posts. This is why the personal preference should be thrown out the window when hiring staff and focus soleley on RP ability + Experience. Not going to lie there are a few trial mods past and current that o not have the rp ability or experience to keep up with the majority of topics yet they were picked due to personal preference. Nish Slow Leo and Mord on the other hand have shown that they can handle topics as well as Nish hom tidied up a lot of the market."

I agree on this to a pretty large degree, all staff should be held accountable to post in the RP, the site is a roleplay site, I could give two shits less if it looks pretty.

I agree with Ava's last point so...yeah
Lapis Lazuli
Lapis Lazuli

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zSun Jun 15, 2014 2:08 am

I'd like to go on record saying that none of the current Administration actually bother with the graphics of the site at all. At the most, Kaptain Ava only touches her Javascript and Edifilaen set up our pop-up chat box. The one staff member who actually gave a shit about the looks was Mystogan, he's no longer a member of the staff as he left us.

I'd also like to say that no, Mystogan created this site and its rules have largely went untouched over the almost 4 years its been an active site because for these last 3 years the staff has been a little touchy on the subject of change. I'll be quite honest when I was absolutely ready to boot people off of the staff due to inactivity or a lack of active moderation, but I know that wouldn't be received well at all by the staff and likely by some members depend on who would be removed. We never created a staff heavy site at all, it grew to become one and no one wanted to change things around to adapt to this. I'll be honest when I say I threw a lot of tantrums towards the staff when they were adamant against changing things.

I was asked by someone to let Honey handle the Adoption Centre, but we may be putting some kind of system in which in alternates between the staff or something, so that some staff are given the chance to adopt if possible. Honestly, I could easily go back to handling it if I need to, since I have little intentions of actually RPing here I have no need to even bother with adopting Pokemon. I do pick up topics from time to time, however because I personally have a distaste for actually role-playing Pokemon I refrain from it. For a while I've wanted to cut down on the amount of characters our members could have since not only is a lack of activity a problem, but every active member has the potential, including staff, to have up to 4 actives characters at any given time.

If you don't like it that I'm trying to graduate from College and the fact I'm taking something that I love, specifically 3D Animation for Games, Films, and Visual Effects, and I still try to dedicate myself to this site as much as possible to the point of forgoing sleep to finish assignments and in-between those assignments making suggestions to people or being told that suggestions have been made, I'll gladly just fucking leave the site right now. In fact, I'll even hand-pick the person who replaces me on the Administration as a parting gift.

Now I'm going to end my stupid post on this note. There's absolutely no reason for you to acknowledge anything unless you really want to because I don't care if you want to start trying to debate what my opinion is, and opinion that I've gathered over the time I spent here. Frankly I'm running on no sleep for about over 36 hours now, I've only had a bit of sugar here and there and some caffeine too. Frankly, I was terrified Wednesday night because our neighbours across the hall in the apartment complex were having a fight and the police were called. Our door was kicked and we were threatened because the thought we had called the police. I, in no way wanted to make any post here until I had the proper time to think it over and read what has already been posted, but I know that both members and staff alike will certainly ask me to make a post in this topic.
Slowpoke
Slowpoke

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zMon Jun 16, 2014 12:14 am

I will never agree with liquid time in a role play such as this. Time lines will never fit together properly, no matter "if you wait until one thread is done for stuff to take effect". I would rather take on two different characters than try to keep up with wth is happening between two different threads without stuff getting crossed and jumbled. Regardless of if one is mod run or not, things in one thread are still somehow affecting the other, and if you say it doesn't take effect until after, then these two very different events were still somehow happening simultaneously. It's a big fat no from me on liquid time and will always be. It just doesn't work with this kind of RP.
Nishwishes
Nishwishes

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zMon Jun 16, 2014 12:33 am

Agreed here as well. The impact on story in particular is immense, because how do you know that your character will react to something realistically in one thread without the impact from the other? Leveling for mods, who have to handle multiple threads (or really should be, imo), could be a confusing jumble. It works in some places, but I'd find it utter chaos here.
Ika Mazi (Jeff)

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zMon Jun 16, 2014 2:48 am

Agreed, Liquid Time is rather hard to do places such as these..
Ika Mazi (Jeff)

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8zMon Jun 16, 2014 9:41 pm

This site doesn't need a plot to have one, every character in itself has a plot. Every character is developing in each and every thread they're in, unlike in other RPs such as Naruto, therefore, there is a plot.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~   A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~ H6Q0F8z

A few suggestions from your friendly neighborhood Spiderman~
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1