HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Minimum Word Requirement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
Elin

Minimum Word Requirement Empty
PostSubject: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 5:04 pm

I noticed this site has a growing population of one-liners, people who post on RP sites with only one sentence. In my other sites, we always had an extensive word requirement in order to combat it, usually around 500-1000. I think this would a great idea to be help players learn how to role-play and become great writers in real-life as well!
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Pooch
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm

I would be stuck in a position where I can't rp with a certain character because I wouldn't know what to post since what i know what to post doesn't meet the requirement, there are those time you can't do much at all and simply have to post one liners, of course you could change it to where if you usually meet the requirement, then you could post one-liners a FEW times :P
Leo
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Hey Elin
I understand you're idea but I have to agree with Kronos, There are a lot of people here who have a hard time creation a post and if it would come to a 1000 word count they would not be able to post anymore, sorry but thats just my idea.
Elin

I'm sorry, but it could just be 100, or something around that area, hard to expect somebody who writes short paragraphs to jump to 1000.
Leo
Leo

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 5:48 pm

well 100 would be manageable but I still would rather have it that people can determine the lenght of the post themselves, like imagen you want to post but you don't know what to post except for a few sentences, which would be about 50 wouldn't it be better to have a post then no post.
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 5:54 pm

I agree with Ian. It's better to post one or two sentences then never post at all. If you don't know how to reply with 100 words, boom, topic goes dead. The forum posting would drop, members would leave, nobody would join, and anyone who knew it was your suggestion who could no longer post would give you so much crap YOU would leave. For the users, the forum. and you, I'll support AGAINST this one.
Lapis Lazuli
Lapis Lazuli

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 pm

I'd just like to say a few things:

@ Elin - No, it's not exactly a great idea. It's called a reasonable idea when it fits in with the situation.

@ Kronos - Not even really a reasonable response to you.

@ Hana Ryder - Oh you made me laugh a bit, you really did. In every topic I've seen you bring an opinion, it's always based around story. News flash, not everyone can always post up a decent post. Saying that it's always that someone is lazy is a poor way of putting it, because they could have plenty of other reasons why they can't make a decent post. You seem to completely ignore that people might have a reasonable excuse for poor posts. Also, just so you know, this site isn't exactly for serious role-playing. Because if it was, this topic here wouldn't exist.

____

All in all, this shouldn't really be a problem for people. As much as I would like to see people strive to reach a set amount, in the end it's up to them to improve their own role-playing skills. As is stands, I see no reason to agree or deny this.
Ryuji~
Ryuji~

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm going to have to be against this, one reason being the fact that a lot of people on here are young. They can not do 100-150 words without loosing the fun in it. Another being that this forum is mainly based on quick battle posts, in my *opinion*. The forum isn't for story, honestly the only way to metagame here is if you knew something that was said OOC, while a majority would consider metagaming to be, going out of character like always been a nice girl, then suddenly jumps someone randomly and stabs them with a knife, to get that person's pokemon (your post btw would completely be voided if you try to do that, so don't). So, to sum it up, this rule will most likely not get implemented, actually I'm certain it won't.
But, that doesn't stop you from typing big posts ^_^
I know the feel, to come here and see the quick easy posts, when you would usually read 500+ posts because you're from a Naruto site, or Bleach site, where quantity is also considered to be a need to reach quality.
So, final summery: Post big if you want ^_^ But this rule won't get implemented
Elin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:28 pm

100 takes, about maybe about 5 minutes, there is always the chat-box if you want short battles.
SaxAppeal
SaxAppeal

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I can't see a reason to either vote for or against this, because while I try to make sure my posts aren't awfully short, there are times where simple one-liners are all I can come up with at the moment, for whatever reason. I'd love to see someone host an "RP Improvement Class", if you feel your RP skills are good enough to allow you to do something like that. I'm sure there's a number people who would love the chance to improve, myself included.
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 pm

You've already seen people's reactions to this. This is a, and this is HEAVILY underexaggerated&censored, horrible idea. I can't post 100+ words every post, simply because in the topics I go in don't give me the material. Also, people would have to count the words in their post EVERY SINGLE TIME, yet another thing that both, would drive people away, AND you'd get crap for.
Ryuji~
Ryuji~

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Another thing to add: We, the staff, handle every topic basically. We can not keep up with all the topics without posting "one liners".
Elin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:51 pm

@Ryuji~
There are, let's see, 15 of you. Probably more than the amount of active members that post daily. I understand where you are coming from, but simple logic states that the staff can write this as well, or you can just make a loop-hole where the staff are exempt from this rule when modding a player's topic. Easy to get around.

@Patachu
Why are you so concerned over me? I can handle myself, and I can always report it to a staff member if I feel that they are breaking the rules by hounding me. I do not know about you, but I know when my post is over 100 words and when it is not, and it is not a word by word requirement, the staff shouldn't count word for word and refuse to reply if they have 99 or something. I understand your reasoning, but many sites are able to enforce this, why can we not?

Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 9:56 pm

It's not just you. And what happens when it IS the staff giving you crap? Listen, you link me ONE site that it's required to have a certain number of words, and maybe I'll believe that this rule exists anywhere. And staff, or any members, getting exceptions to rules in any situation is just messwd up, unbalanced, and unfair. At least the staff currently have fair limits.
Elin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:05 pm

@Patachu
Then I report them to a person who has higher power? I also believe exceptions would be made only for staff moderating player's RP topics, not just whenever they want, and sure, I can link plenty.
Search word count

Another site
Yet another site that's fairly popular
and another one
I'm getting bored of linking

Almost every site has one, it's an integral part of validating the site as an legitimate role-playing site, instead of a public RP chat-room.
SaxAppeal
SaxAppeal

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Actually, Pata, this is a fairly common rule. I honestly don't think it's a great plan to include this rule, more for the younger users' sakes than anyone else's. You also have to take into consideration that not everyone on this forum speaks English as their primary language, so asking them to come up with 100 words per post could get strenuous for them rather quickly. While the majority of the forum has the ability to keep up with that requirement, many of them would see it as a chore and simply stop coming online. Again, I know that it isn't really as difficult as some of the users think it is, but I can't see everyone enjoying the forum as much if we put restrictions on posting below a certain word count.
Elin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:08 pm

@SaxAppeal
If you really wanted to do something much fun but do not actually want to role-play, I'm pretty sure you can play the actual games, which are "Ditto uses Transform", exactly the same as one-liners.
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm

This place is nothing like the games. You have to be a regular trainer, and you don't meet other REAL people in the games. And Elin, you just technically advertised other sites outside the advertisement forum. Anyway, in the games you can't be creative and control your attacks or combo moves, either.
Elin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Patachu wrote:
It's not just you.  And what happens when it IS the staff giving you crap?  Listen, you link me ONE site that it's required to have a certain number of words, and maybe I'll believe that this rule exists anywhere.  And staff, or any members, getting exceptions to rules in any situation is just messwd up, unbalanced, and unfair.  At least the staff currently have fair limits.
@Patachu
I'm afraid you asked to link.
Ryuji~
Ryuji~

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Again, this site is built on quick rp. If you want story, then make it. I really don't see why you want others to post big... Its their choice, you can make a story if you want, you can post one liners or 1k words, it doesn't matter to us, like it shouldn't matter to you if others post quick. I'm DEFINITELY sure if they wanted to, they would, so why force them to do something they don't want to?
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Doesn't matter Elin, you should've pm'd me instead of posting them where you shouldn't.
Elin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8zThu Aug 22, 2013 10:20 pm

@Ryuji~
Then I'll ask you this question, why does almost every other site have this rule?
Because one-liners are not entertaining to moderate, they are frankly quite a waste of time as a moderator, I would rather have to read a 1,000 word post that's fairly entertaining to read than just "Ditto used Transform" and keep on doing it in this same monotonous format. Writing more also prevents god-modding, have you really ever seen a god-modder who writes 500 words in their post? No, most of the god-modders write something like "Pikachu used Thunderbolt and K.O-ed Sandile".

@Patachu
Then tell me to do so, because you are ridiculing a person for doing what you told them do so.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Word Requirement   Minimum Word Requirement H6Q0F8z

Minimum Word Requirement
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next