HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Swiley
Swiley

Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) Empty
PostSubject: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zFri Oct 08, 2010 6:43 am

Here is my thread for successful Role-playing. While there is basic Role-playing as everyone is aware of, there is multiple and various ways to ensure your role-playing is fun for yourself and those who choose to engage in the scenarios your imagionation can cook up.

Okay first I will cover the basics(tips) to role-playing which everyone should know about:

- Firsly, when writing in general with no use of symbols attached to your sentencing it usually infers that you are writing from a narrative perspection or depicting a characters thoughts. It is never usually written in first-person(When writing as if you are saying it yourself) Eg: Swiley wasn't sure if he should enter the forest at night, anything could happen.

- Now for speech text. When your character really needs to get something off of his/her chest, this is how he/she should do it. Speech is the most common part of Role-Playing and is the easiest to notice when reading. While there is a variety of ways users actually type speech it should almost always be FIRST PERSON! (Talking about a memory etc = Past Tense; Talking about what is happening as of now = Present tense; Or what is going to happen or will happen, maybe a prediction = Future tense. Speech text can use all three)
Eg: "I dont like your stupid burnt cookies! Give me those delicious fresh ones you had baking a few hours ago!"

- When you need to add a little action to your writing as a Role-Player, always make it stand out. Luckily there is a way to do that and it is pretty simple. Action writing is always done in PAST TENSE - THIRD PERSON. When writing a part of action it is often done so through punctuality; the most commonly used punctuality you ask? Easy, these symbols = ( * ) or ( - )... obviously without the brackets. In order to begin and end an action sequence always place one at the beginning and one at the end.
Eg: *Swiley unclipped his Pokeball and tossed it into the air* As it reached its peak a flashing red light appeared unleashing his Growlithe.

- Like in any form of English writing, paragraphs are used to seperate or notify a change of topic. Aka: When you talk about one thing in the first paragraph; then a new subject/scene in the next. This will benefit yourself and others when reading your text as it lessens the chance of confusion.
Eg:
Swiley was having a recollection of what just occured. "Those trainers didn't seem like... any other trainer I'd ever seen." He slowly grabbed a potion fitted on a tray and approached the counter. "I have to go see if everything has returned to normal." He said while handing the money over to the store clerk. After he had paid for the Potion he exited the Poke Mart.

Swiley continued walking down the path, when he had heard similar sounds from when he was previously down in this area. "Not again, my Pokemon are still injured." He needed an escape....

Side Notes:

DONT FORGET!
Basic Writing = No Punctuation.
Action Sequence = Two of these * or these -
Speech text = Two of these "
And paragraph your writing!

Now some Hints to follow that will increase the entertainment Role-Playing Can provide for you and your family... okay maybe just you.

1. Do NOT role-play for other people. This can be quite irritating. Role-playing other characters that aren't created by other people is quite alright especially if it is within someone elses thread. You've probably noticed the Mods doing it, but if it doesnt feel right to you, simply put: Dont do it.

2. Do try to use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. It makes it more fun when you do not have to decipher someone elses writing. I know I wouldnt want to sit there for an hour trying to figure out one sentence.

3. Don't dis-joint time. What I mean by this is, if your character is currently in once place, dont magically make him/her appear in some new town. Make him/her move there gradually. The Pokemon world does have access to transport.

4. Cheating is really no fun at all. I suggest following the laws of logic, reason and equality or fairness. Pokemon Role-play is based off of the Anime not the games or cards(Unless stating other wise). Anything can happen! Expect the unexpected because there are no 're-do's'.

5. Also sometimes it is fun to add colour to further define either your speech text or action sequences by adding colour. But maybe do not increase the size, this can be annoying. After all the main point is to have fun while you're doing it!

Thanks for allowing me your time, I hope this helped and that I did not cross into the boundaries of rule-making. I hope this is useful to those who are either rusty, new or need some brushing up.
Im going to better this thread in the future~ Add colour, editing and further tips and hints that could help. Good luck all.
IF I MADE ANY GENERAL ERRORS OR SOMETHING IS UNCLEAR PLEASE INFORM ME BY POSTING BELOW~ THANKIES~
:D

Last edited by Swiley on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:13 am; edited 3 times in total
VivaLaCult

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zFri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 am

I know how to RP silly :D
Swiley
Swiley

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zFri Oct 08, 2010 7:49 am

Oh sowwie! -Gives you tickets to a rollercoaster- :o
JPdude612
JPdude612

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zFri Oct 08, 2010 3:21 pm

YUS. Nuff Said.
Swiley
Swiley

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zFri Oct 08, 2010 3:23 pm

You literally... asked for it. :)
Alma
Alma

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSat Oct 09, 2010 4:59 am

Good. Maybe it could help some beginners who just joined the site and don't know how to rp.

Just a thought, why not post it in announcements or rules?
Swiley
Swiley

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSat Oct 09, 2010 6:07 am

Because it is still a suggestion until it is approved by the Admin/Mods.
They can move it if they feel it is some what official. :)
Quibbloboy
Quibbloboy

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSat Oct 09, 2010 10:33 am

Um... Aren't 'rusty' and 'need some brushing up' the same general thing? (In the white paragraph at the bottom.)
Swiley
Swiley

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSat Oct 09, 2010 1:18 pm

Rusty means they have forgotten some stuff or haven't role played in a long time.
Brushing up can mean there is some stuff they don't know. So they are similar but not the same. *Taps his nose*
Doragon

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSat Oct 09, 2010 6:29 pm

ok mr nose tapper
Swiley
Swiley

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSun Oct 10, 2010 2:08 am

Trolololol. :3
I liek to tap my nose. :0
JPdude612
JPdude612

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSun Oct 10, 2010 5:09 am

Tappin' noses iz FUN.

*Tap Tap Tap Tap tap Tap*
Swiley
Swiley

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zSun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 am

*Taps your nose* 0 ,0

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zTue Jan 18, 2011 11:30 am

is there an exp system or levelling system
Quibbloboy
Quibbloboy

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zThu Jan 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Nope, usually the staff member who was RPing as the enemy will just decide that it's time for a level-up for your Pokemon, and do it. Although SOME staff whose names will not be mentioned, don't do their jobs to the fullest extent of their capabilities. So if you catch a Pokemon or something and nobody adds it to your trainer sheet thing, PM me, Sai., or Luna. Darkrai can usually be counted on to help, too.
Rayquaza Dude
Rayquaza Dude

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zThu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 pm

hehe by power of deduction you were referring to doragon

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8zFri Jan 21, 2011 8:46 am

tnx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)   Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it) H6Q0F8z

Role-Playing Tips and Hints(Basically how to do it)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1