HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  NewsNews  PollsPolls  EventsEvents  Rules and Info.Rules and Info.  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Experience Points from losing battles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Should pokemon gain experience points even when they lose the battle?
Yes
Experience Points from losing battles I_vote_lcap50%Experience Points from losing battles I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 4 ]
No
Experience Points from losing battles I_vote_lcap50%Experience Points from losing battles I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

Wings
Wings

Experience Points from losing battles Empty
PostSubject: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zMon May 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Me and Supersquirrel were wondering wether the loser pokemon also gain some experience points. In pokemon game it might be somewhat logical that your pokemon gain levels only by defeating enemies. However here, in free form roleplaying site, pokemon who lose battles should also gain experience points. It is only logical that pokemon can learn a lot from defeat, maybe even more than from victory, and thus I think that even if you lose a battle, experience points should still be awarded.

Edit: Hakudoshi suggested a poll so added it.

Last edited by Wings on Mon May 20, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hakudoshi
Hakudoshi

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zMon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, there is a problem with that. One of the main methods of getting EXP is to battle other Pokemon. If your Pokemon fights with the enemy Pokemon, or it doesn't defeat the other Pokemon and faints, then EXP can be awarded. It works pretty much the same as in the games.
youarereta98
youarereta98

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zMon May 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I think it would be a nice if the loser got 1/5th exp or so, i dont think it will pass but would still be nice.
Pooch
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zMon May 20, 2013 9:40 pm

I say no because that makes people want to lose on purpose and yeah, I LOST?! WHO CARES! I STILL LEVELED UP! AND HEY! I EVOLVED FOR LOSING! AWSOME! Also if a level 1 was fighting a level 100, You gain like part of the exp, you could level up a bit still, and etc... I'm so bad at explanations!
Starrunner
Arceus +
Starrunner
Arceus +

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zMon May 20, 2013 9:58 pm

I say no, even though if we go by logic it shall get experience. But for the same reasons pooch said, I'm against it.
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zTue May 21, 2013 6:36 am

I'm against it. It is stupid to still gain something after you've been defeated. Defeat has to have a meaning as well.
Wings
Wings

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zTue May 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Okay, I see your points, but I still think that this should be added. Gaining experience points from losing will make player vs player battle more appealing, since people will think that even if they lose, they still gain something from that 1, 2, or even more pages role playing topics. Gaining at least something from battle might also make defeat more acceptable. In sites like this it is common that arguments occur, where one side blames other in god modding, making their pokemon too powerful, etc. This happens because people don't want to lose, but also because they don't want to get a feeling like they have wasted their time writing huge and detailed replies to his partner, and then gaining nothing from it.

But yeah, guess I have to respect admins, mods and of course my fellow role players opinions here. Thanks for taking your time considering my suggestion.
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zTue May 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Eh, don't get down, fella. But I appreciate your kindness towards the staff. If you want my reply about this, eh, I'll just the same thing. Plus it doesn't matter if role-plays are written long and doesn't matter if you fall in defeat. It happens. Though not to me, I'm undefeated. I'm indestructible. Nah, I'm not cocky. Don't get me wrong. And Godmodding has no place in this site. We take care of those right away.
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zTue May 21, 2013 4:08 pm

That would mean "Oh, I have a Lv. 3 Pokemon, I'll go fight a Level 30 and intentionally lose so I'll level up to 4. Repeat process afterwards."
youarereta98
youarereta98

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zTue May 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Your asuming tht there is a reason for a level 3 to fight a level 30 more then 1 time ;D
Saber
Saber

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zWed May 22, 2013 8:08 pm

This is a roleplaying forum, not the handheld games. Giving exp for losing might make people less bothered by winning and more bothered to write a decent roleplaying post. I know other pokemon forums who hand out experience regardless of the battle outcome and only depending on post quality.
youarereta98
youarereta98

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zWed May 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Im pretty sure we were on the topic of player against player fights, not against a random AI
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zThu May 23, 2013 4:27 am

Even more crapped up. If it's a PVP, a member with a strong Pokémon and another member with a weaker Pokémon could make a deal wherein the strong member allows himself to be defeated by the weaker one by not attacking thus giving the weaker one a boost in EXP. There is no point in this and it makes the meaning of defeat. One does not become a Pokémon Trainer without knowing and realizing the meaning of defeat. Dun dun duuuun!

While it does sounds well to me since gee, who would not want their Pokémon’s EXP to skyrocket? But then again, no challenge there, fellas.
youarereta98
youarereta98

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zThu May 23, 2013 4:34 am

Theres is supposed to be a mod watching all the threads, so unless there is an actual RP potential for it, then they cant farm up the XP. If they do try and abuse it, the mod could simply say "No only you get exp for wining. not you."
Bryan
Bryan

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zThu May 23, 2013 4:43 am

A mod watching all the threads cannot exist. One, they have lives and do something else and two, they already have a lot of job if you didn't know. In short, hard to manage and this idea is (no offense) crap.
Markj1998
Administrator
Markj1998
Administrator
Location : Definitely not in the cupboard... what i said not in the cupboard go away!

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8zThu May 23, 2013 8:30 pm

Request Denied - Topic Closed
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experience Points from losing battles   Experience Points from losing battles H6Q0F8z

Experience Points from losing battles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1